March 12, 2011

Sing Hanson: Sidetracks

Abstract, Tilton, 2009, digital photograph on archival paper, $425

We are very pleased to have the work of Sing Hanson in our main gallery. The new exhibit features Sing's digital photographs of close-up views of sides of trains.  Her work has a painterly quality to it that is very unique.

::


SING HANSON
Artist Statement

I am a painter by nature, though I work as a photographer. I attempt to paint with a camera. My images sometimes blur the lines between the two media, and also between realism and abstraction.
Concepts of repurposing, reworking, and adaptive reuse, as seen here in the SIDETRACKS series, have framed my work over the last decade. These images of decommissioned railroad cars rusting and peeling away on unused tracks become metaphors for the passage of time, the ephemeral nature of apparently concrete objects and the triumph of repurposing them through the creative act.

My photographs are digitally based and printed on archival papers with long-lasting Epson Ultrachrome inks in signed editions of no more than 15. Generally I make my own prints, giving me control of the images throughout the process and a flexibility that photo labs cannot.

::


We hope you can make it to our gallery soon to see Sing's wonderful work.
SING HANSON: SIDETRACKS is in our gallery from March 8 - May 8, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails